23 January, 2019
Poached egg curry in tamarind sauce
Posted in : Andhra, Curries, Dinner, Egg, Gluten Free, Heart Healthy, Indian, Low Calorie, Lunch, Paleo, Paleo Dinner, Paleo Lunch, Tamil Nadu, Whole30 Dinners, Whole30 Lunch, Whole30 Recipes on by : sujeesha Tags: curry, egg
Egg Curry in Tamarind Sauce
By January 23, 2019Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
Looking for a simple curry to wake up your taste buds? Look no further. Check out this step by step guide to making a spicy egg curry in tangy tamarind sauce!
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 small lime size Tamarind
- 1 ripe Tomato (optional. You can make this curry without tomato, no problem)
- 2 tbsp Hot red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil I do all my cooking in coconut oil or ghee. You can substitute is for any fat of choice.
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves (optional. If you don't have it, don't worry)
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 6 Black pepper Literally 6 fresh crushed pepper will do
- 2 Garlic cloves with skin on
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water for half hour.
- Extract pulp from soaked tamarind. Quarter tomato and squeeze it into the tamarind pulp. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, jaggery, salt to taste and combine everything together using your fingers. YES, I said fingers. It adds to the flavor. Trust me!
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet. :- I'm obsessed with my cast iron skillet. I use it to cook evvverything. If you don't own one yet, look for a super used skillet in your neighborhood Salvation Army or a garage sale and just season it. Voila, you are set for life at a dime. 🙂
- Throw in mustard seeds into hot oil. When they splutter, add cumin seeds and curry leaves. When they stop sizzling, dump the tamarind mixture into the skillet. Cook covered on medium for about 10 minutes until the curry reduced a bit.
- Crack eggs and slowly drop them on top of the curry next to each other.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes on medium low. Flip the eggs after 5 minutes and turn off heat.
- Drizzle sesame oil, crushed garlic cloves with skin and crushed black pepper, and keep covered until ready to serve.
- Serve hot with rice and pappad.
- Happy cooking! 🙂