24 December, 2019
Even without trying we somehow seem to rack up quite a stash of candy canes every year. But do we ever eat them? Nooooooooo!!!! ‘Coz the overly sweet hard candy is not very pleasant to the pallatte. However, sprinkle some on top of peppermint bark and Voila!!! Those things get inhaled in No Time!
I make these almost every holiday season to welcome the festive vibes. These are so easy to whip up, you can make them in no time and get going about your business.
Though there are several ways of making them and hundreds of recipes out there, here is the simplest version that I have mastered over the years. This is fool-proof if you follow the recipe to the T and also keep in mind, the secret to a good peppermint bark is using high quality chocolate. Hence, my go-to is Ghirardelli chocolate chips Hands Down!
Please don’t use cheap chocolate like Hersheys, please…pleeeeeeease don’t!
Peppermint oil is definitely optional only. Those of you that don’t like strong peppermint flavor can leave that out, no problem. Candy cane powder that’s melted with white chocolate and the crushed candy on top of the layers is enough to provide the explosive peppermint flavor that would make you want more than a few pieces at a time. 😀
By December 24, 2019Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 6 mins
- Ready In: 13 mins
Here is a peppermint bark recipe that will sure make it into your family's favorite list of holiday recipes. 🙂
- 8 oz High-quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz High-quality white chocolate chips
- 5 drops Peppermint oil
- 1 cup Crushed candy canes
- Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with foil; set aside. :- Do not grease the foil
- Gently crush candy canes. Sift them to separate fine crumbs that fall through. :- Save really fine crumbs to mix into white chocolate while melting :- Save bigger pieces separately to sprinkle on top layer :- Save rest of the crumbs along with just a few bigger pieces to sprinkle on first layer : - Do not crush candy canes too much or you will end up with powder instead of nice pieces :- Don't leave the pieces too big 'coz no one wants to bite into big chunk of candy cane
- Melt semisweet chocolate in the microwave at half power for 3 minutes until melted :- Half power is very important to prevent cocoa butter from blooming and raising to the top and separating the 2 layers
- When chocolate is melted, stir in 5 drops of peppermint oil and mix. Pour melted chocolate into the prepared pan, and spread evenly with rubber spatula over the bottom of the pan.
- Score before breaking into pieces. By breaking it from the back you will not break as many of the candy canes on top.
- Immediately melt white chocolate along with fine candy cane powder in half power in microwave for about 3 minutes until melted.
- Cool until completely hardened in room temperature. About 2 hours. :- Do not refrigerate. Cold contracts the layers instead of just hardening the chocolate.
- Turn upside down onto a kitchen towel and peel off the foil.
- Store in airtight container and enjoy. You cant stop with one. 😉