18 August, 2016
Masala Vada/Paruppu Vada aka Lentil fritters
Masala Vada/Parippu Vada
By August 18, 2016Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
No festival goes by in the southern states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala without these lentil fritters popularly called masala vada (colloquially called masal-vada in Tamil Nadu) and parippu vada in kerala. I love to hoard a few and have them as snack with hot chai! Enjoy yours!
- 1 cup Channa dhal
- 4 Long dry red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seed/Saunf
- 1 Red onion finely sliced lengthwise
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves rouchly chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- 1/4 inch Ginger
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil enough for deep frying
- Soak channa dhal for 4 hours along with red chilies and fennel seeds.
- Filter the soaked channa dhal mixture and coarsely grind it along with ginger and a little salt without adding anymore water. Mixture has to be really coarse.
- Add the chopped onion, green chilies, curry leaves and add more salt if required and mix the batter using fingers.
- Heat oil in medium high. Add a pinch of the mixture to check the temperature. Its the right temperature if the batter immediately raises to the surface.
- Now take a small lime sized amount of mixture and flatten it between your palms and drop it into the hot oil. :- slide it towards the sides of the pan so oil doesn't splutter. Repeat for rest of the mixture
- Flip the vadas when corners turn golden brown and let the other side turn golden as well. :- flip vadas just once. If not they will soak up a lot of oil.
- Remove on to an absorbent sheet and serve hot.