6 April, 2010
Kerala Egg Curry in Coconut SaucePosted in : Curries, Egg, Kerala, South Indian on by : sujeesha
Its beautiful how a meal can take us back in time to fond memories. This Kerala egg curry is an adaptation of my mom’s recipe and every time I make this, for some reason i’m taken back in time to my childhood Saturday lunches at home.
During those hot South Indian summer days, playing outside under the scorching sun all morning, mom would call us in to eat lunch and this egg curry served over hot white rice and crispy pappad on the side was simply Heaven on Earth! What makes it a beautiful memory is that we would all sit together and eat lunch as a family, giggling and sharing stories. Now we are all spread across different continents and meals like that happen once every few years. But when it does, we go to town with the meals. 🙂
This utterly satisfying and comforting egg curry recipe simmered in coconut sauce uses just a few spices, onions, tomatoes and tastes fantastic with parathas (flatbread), puttu, idiyappam, idli, dosa, appam and rice. Make extra portions because everyone will go for multiple servings! ;-P
This epic egg curry in coconut sauce makes for a brilliant lunch and tastes amazing with simple rice and pappad. And the spicy coconut curry goes really well with the boiled eggs. Potatoes in there absorbs all those yummy flavors and tastes amazing. To top that off, it tastes like nostalgia to me. 😀
- If using frozen coconut, microwave frozen for about 30 seconds to prevent fat from separating
- You can also grind the coconut without roasting for a variation
- If you want to take a shortcut and not have to roast and grind coconut, feel free to use coconut milk from a can. It tastes very different, but it has its own flavor
- You may also add a few green peas to this curry
Kerala Egg Curry
By April 6, 2010Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
This Kerala style egg curry in coconut sauce is an adaptation of my mom's recipe and every time I make this, i'm taken back in time to to fond memories.
- 4 Hard boiled eggs shelled and scored
- 1 Boiled potato chopped into big chunks
- 1/2 Red onion sliced
- 4 Green chilies slit
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1 handful Cilantro/Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- Dry Roast and grind to a fine paste:
- 1/2 cup Grated coconut
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cloves
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp Fennel seeds/saunf
- For Seasoning:
- 5 Shallots finely chopped
- Oil as needed
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add sliced onion, green chillies and curry leaves. Saute till onions turn brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook covered on low flame till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt to taste and turmeric powder, and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the ground coconut paste.
- Add 3 cups of water, bring to boil and simmer till curry reduces a bit.
- Tip the scored eggs boiled simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add roughly chopped coriander leaves and remove from fire.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a small wok. Add finely chopped shallots and fry till they turn brown. Pour this over the egg curry. Enjoy egg curry with hot with rice or roti. Happy cooking 🙂