1 May, 2013
Flan – 1
Flan is a very simple dessert, the origin of which is claimed by different countries.
A Portuguese friend of my taught me the traditional method of making flan and its the bomb.
I use less eggs than most recipes out there because i done like my flan too eggy.
Also, I have used Smuckers caramel sauce instead of making caramel from scratch to save some time.
Enjoy your dessert time!
By May 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 8 ramkins (8 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
Flan is a very simple dessert, the origin of which is claimed by different countries. A Portuguese friend of my taught me the …
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 6 Large eggs
- 1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed milk
- 2 1/2 Condensed milk cans Whole milk use the condensed milk can to measure whole milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Smuckers caramel syrup
- 8 Ramekins or any flan cookware
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Fill a large baking tray with 1-2 inches of water.
- Squeeze smuckers caramel syrup just enough to coat bottoms of 8 ramkins.
- Now place ramekins on the tray and place water bath in preheating oven.
- Beat eggs in a blender for a few seconds.
- Pour in condensed milk and blend a little bit more.
- Now fill empty condensed milk can with whole milk twice and pour into the egg mixture. Add sugar and vanilla extract and blend for a minute. Custard is ready to make our flan.
- Carefully remove water bath from pre-heated oven.
- With a ladle gently scoop out prepared custard into caramel lined ramekins.
- Place water bath back in the oven and bake for about an hour (or more) or until top of the custard is evenly golden brown. :- At this point a tooth pick or a little knife inserted would come out clean.
- Remove water bath from the oven and remove ramekins from water bath and let cool. Refrigerate ramekins until serving time.
- Just before serving, run a small knife around edge of flan to release it from ramekins and invert onto serving plates. Caramel sauce will flow over flan. Enjoy your flan!!