There are several different ways to make fish curry. Each state in India has at least a dozen different ways. Coming from Kerala I laaaaaave fish curry and the recipe that I use most of the times is a mix of Tamil Nadu and Kerala styles. I use open mouthed mud pot to make fish curry that adds so much more flavor to the curry. I use this pot only to make fish curry and nothing else. I need to admit I kidnapped my mom’s well-used mud pot when I visited India and DO NOT regret it. 😉 Here goes the recipe for you to enjoy!
Fish curry Recipe
By April 11, 2010Published:
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
There are several different ways to make fish curry. Each state in India has at least a dozen different ways. Coming from Kerala I …
- 1/2 kg Fish Any kind you like, cleaned and washed
- 1 lemon size Tamarind soaked and 2 cups hot water for half hour and pulp extracted
- 2 tbsp Curry vadam optional
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- 10 Shallots peeled and crushed
- 4 Green chilies slit
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 4 tbsp Red chili powder adjust as per taste
- 2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 handful Cilantro/Coriander leaves roughly chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Grind to a fine paste:
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 1 inch Ginger
- For Seasoning:
- 5 Shallots Finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp whole black pepper
- 3 cloves Garlic with skin crushed
- 1 tbsp Gingily oil
- Add tomatoes to tamarind pulp and crush well.
- Add crushed onion, green chilies, curry leaves, chili power, coriander powder, turmeric powder, one more cup of water and salt to taste.
- Heat oil in a deep pot or an earthen pot.
- Add curry vadam. Once they splutter add prepared mixture and cook covered for 5 minutes. :- If not using curry vadam, ignore this step and just boil the tamarind mixture to begin with.
- Add coconut paste and mix well.
- Cook covered till curry reduces a bit.
- Add fish pieces and cook covered till they are well cooked. About 6 minutes
- Pour one tbsp gingily oil, crushed garlic, pepper and roughly chopped coriander leaves and remove from fire.
- Heat 4 tbsp cooking oil a small pan.
- Add finely chopped shallots and fry till brown and a nice aroma arises.
- Pour this over curry and serve hot with rice, idli or dosa. Happy Cooking 🙂