9 November, 2017
This chicken dish is so easy to prep, make and devour that whenever I’m not sure what to make for a quick dinner, this is my go-to dish.
I got the inspiration for this recipe on NomNomPaleo.com, put my own spin to it and have been hooked ever since.
I always get my meat from the local butcher store or halal market only because their meat is so fresh, they absorb flavors of seasonings like a sponge. I bought supermarket chicken just once in America and I couldn’t stomach it, nor are they nutritious. Seriously folks, just try buying your meat from local butcher and you’ll never go back to a frozen-and-thawed meat at the supermarket again.
When I get my meat at Fresh Choice Market, I get bone-in, skin-on chicken legs and get them chopped into 3 pieces each. This way I can easily debone the meat using a sharp kitchen shear at home. I also trim loose skin flapping around and save them along with the bones to make chicken broth later. (Recipe on that later.)
The dry rub I have made here is THE BOMB guys. Though you can feel free to use any seasoning of your choice, I would recommend you try my dry rub once. You will thank me later. I make big batches of this rub and save them in an air-tight container to use in all kinds of dishes like fish, chicken, eggs, steak and more.
You don’t really need any sauce for this chicken coz its so full of flavor, though feel free to whip up your favorite dipping sauce if you feel so. The sauce you see in the photo is Whole30 compliant Tzatziki sauce made using avocado in place of greek yoghurt. (Recipe on this later as well.) 🙂
Also, I’m in love with my cast iron skillet and I use it for almost everything in my kitchen. Its something about cast iron that adds an amazing flavor to the dishes. Veggies or meat, everything goes in my cast iron skillet. I’m proud to say, I’m an addict!
Lets go ahead and dive right in…
By November 9, 2017Published:
- Yield: 4 (2 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 35 mins
This chicken dish is so easy to prep, make and devour that whenever I'm not sure what to make for a quick dinner, this is my go-to …
- 1 Bone-in, skin-in Chicken leg deboned, trimmed and chopped into 4 pieces
- 2 tbsp Ghee/clarified butter
- Dry rub:
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp Crushed red peppers
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Paprika/red chilli powder
- Pour all of the ingredients for dry rub in a bowl and mix up to combine.
- Keep aside. Your dry rub is ready to use. Alternately, feel free to use your choice of seasoning.
- Pat chicken down with paper towel until dry. Using a meat pounder, flatten the chicken to ensure uniform thickness.
- Season the chicken generously using the dry rub on all sides.
- Marinate for a couple of hours in the refrigerator if time permits. If its high quality chicken from a butcher store, you won't even need any marination.
- Heat ghee on medium heat in a skillet. Place chicken thighs on the skillet skin side down.
- Let the skin fry until crisp and golden, about 7-10 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook until cooked through, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove on to an absorbent sheet and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce. 🙂