There are several different kinds of chili out there and my favorites are the ones that do not have beans in them. I feel beans are used by restaurants as fillers and they do kill the flavor of meat.
This particular recipe if a favorite of mine since it has a little tanginess to it that comes from tomatillos and got a little kick to it from the peppers. It looks more green than red (true to the term “verde” which means “green”) and you can make it with any meat of choice, though i have used chicken in this recipe.
I enjoy my chili with corn bread or just good-old plain white rice and i’m all set 🙂
Chicken Chili Verde
By September 1, 2017Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 6 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 6 hrs 15 mins
There are several different kinds of chili out there and my favorites are the ones that do not have beans in them. I feel beans are …
- 1 lb Boneless chicken chopped to bite sized pieces
- 1/2 lb Tomatillos halved
- 3 Anaheim peppers slit
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 4 Jalapenos slit
- 1 large Onion halved. ( I used red onion, but you can use any variety)
- 1 large Tomato diced (optional)
- 6 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh origano
- 1 handful Cilantro I did not have parsley available, so used cilantro.
- 1 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 Beef bullion cube crumbled
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Arrange tomatillos, bell pepper, Anaheim peppers, jalapenos and onion on a lined baking sheet, cut side down. drizzle some olive oil on top. :- make sure the foil is sprayed with oil to prevent veggies form sticking to the sheet.
- Roast veggies in the oven until their skin turns brown. :- Roasting the veggies creates a deeper and more complex flavors
- Heat about a tbsp of olive oil in a skillet and fry chicken pieces with some salt and pepper until browned on high heat. :- meat doesn't have to be cooked through, since they are gonna cook again the slow cooker or stove stop
- While chicken is frying, remove roasted veggies from the oven, let cool and chop them up to bite sized pieces.
- Transfer chicken, and roasted veggies to a slow cooker. Throw in tomato, garlic, chili powder, cumin powder, bullion cube, a cup of water and give it a nice stir.
- Slow cook on Low for about 4-6 hours. :- When i'm pressed with time, I cook it on stove-top in a cast iron pot. chili is ready in about an hour or less. 🙂
- When meat is well cooked and mixture comes together, remove a cup of veggies to a blender. Also remove a cup of broth to a bowl.
- Blend veggies to a smooth paste and add to the chili. Mix cream cheese to the broth until well combined and add it to the chili :- These 2 steps add a nice creamy texture to the chili and are completely optional
- Chili Verde is ready to be served! 🙂
- :- Some add broth to the chili instead of water, which i feel is unnecessary since broth is high in sodium and fat. This chili already has a ton of vegetables and meat to bring out a rich flavor profile, hence water is all it needs. However, if you want to add broth, omit the bullion cube. :- I did not have enough peppers, hence I used more chili powder than peppers, thus the tint of redness in my. Whenever i add more peppers, chili tends to have a more earthy green tint to it, which is the best!