18 July, 2008
Chicken Gravy Recipe
By July 18, 2008Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
This chicken gravy is made in most South Indian households (a Sunday special when we are too lazy to make Biriyani). There is nothing to roast or grind which makes it a quick and easy recipe. All you need is some hot rice and some pappad and there will be a party in your mouth. Enjoy the recipe!
- 1 lb Chicken legs skinned and chopped
- 1 large Reg onion sliced
- 2 small Tomatoes diced
- 4 Thai peppers slit
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 5 Cloves break the heads to prevent bursting in hot oil
- 2 tbsp Fresh ginger-garlic paste store-bought is ok but not preferred
- 4 tbsp Paprika/red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds optional
- 1/2 tsp Kalpaasi/Indian seedweed optional, but adding this would add a really nice flavor
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Throw in cloves, cinnamon sticks, poppy seeds and seaweed.
- When you get a nice fragrance add sliced onion, slit peppers and curry leaves.
- Once onions start turning a little brown add tomatoes and cook covered till they turn mushy, stirring every now and then.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till nice aroma arises.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric and saute for a couple of minutes till the mixture comes together.
- Now throw in chicken pieces and water just enough to cover the chicken and cook covered until chicken is cooked.
- Now add salt to taste and cook till gravy thickens and oil starts to separate.
- Throw in chopped cilantro and turn off stove. :- Serve hot with plain rice, idli, dosa or rotis. :- Eat by itself or on a bed of cauliflower rice if on Whole30 or Paleo. Happy cooking 🙂