23 October, 2017
Chicken Cacciatore – Slow cooker version
Cacciatore in Italian means “hunter-style”. Basically if a hunter came home empty-handed, his wife would kill a chicken for the meal instead.
I use my slow cooker a lot, a LOT, coz its so easy to throw things in before going to bed with a wonderful aroma waking me up in the morning. I have this tiny little 2 Qt slow cooker that is perfect to make a batch that lasts for 2-3 meals for me.
Cacciatore is usually made with braised chicken, made in tomato based sauce with onion and wild mushrooms. I didn’t have mushrooms handy, hence i have omitted them. This is a dish which you can experiment with whatever you have available. I added a potato and some green beans and they soaked up all of the flavors and tasted heavenly.
Chicken Cacciatore - Slow cooker version
By October 23, 2017Published:
- Yield: 6 cups (2 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 8 hrs 10 mins
Cacciatore in Italian means "hunter-style". Basically if a hunter came home empty-handed, his wife would kill a chicken for the meal …
- 1 Chicken leg chopped to bite sized pieces. You can use bone-in drumsticks, or legs as well.
- 2 Shallots sliced
- 1/4 Green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 Red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 Orange bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Green beans quartered
- 1 Potato peeled and diced
- 2 hot peppers of choice sliced
- 1 large Tomato diced
- 1 cup Vegetable broth I didnt have whole30 compliant chicken broth handy, so i used veggie broth
- 1 small can tomatoes sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken pieces making sure to coat all sides.
- Heat ghee on medium high in a skillet.
- Throw in chicken and sear on both sides until lightly golden. About 2 minutes on each side. Pick out chicken using a tong and place in the slow cooker's bowl.
- In the same pan throw in shallots and fry till translucent.
- Dump in rest of the veggies except tomato and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer veggies into slow cooker. Add diced tomato, tomato sauce, paprika, turmeric, fresh ground pepper and give it a nice stir.
- Slow cook for 6 hours on low and another 2 hours on high. :- I started the slow cooker before going to bed. In the morning, just before leaving to work I turned it up to high and came home for lunch to a house filled with wonderful aroma of Chicken Cacciatore!!
- Serve hot over rice or pasta. However, since i'm on a Whole30 cleanse, I had a bowl by itself and the potatoes gave me the carb i needed. 🙂