23 June, 2009
Chicken BiriyaniPosted in : Baking, Chicken, Christmas, Dinner, Indian, Ramadan, Rice, Thanksgiving on by : sujeesha
Chicken with bone (chopped leg pieces would be best) – 2 lb
Basmati rice – 4 cups
Red onion, big – 4 (sliced lengthwise)
Tomatoes – 3 (diced)
Green Chilies – 4 (slit lengthwise)
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Lime juice – 1/4 cup
Chili powder – 4 tsp
Corriander powder – 4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Any brand biriyani masala – 1 packet
Curd – 1/4 cup
Cinnamon sticks – 4 one inch pieces
Cloves – 6
Cardamom – 4
Bay leaves – 4
Saffron or biriyani colour – 2 pinch
Milk – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1/2 cup
Water – 6 cups
Salt to taste
Coarsely grind together:
Ginger – 2″ piece (sliced)
Garlic – 2 bulbs (peeled)
Mint leaves – a handful
Corriander leaves/cilantro – a handful
Khuskhus/poppy seeds – 3 tsp
Aniseed/saunf – 2 tsp
Method of preparation:
1. Add curd, lime juice, biriyani masala and 1 tsp ginger garlic paste to the chicken and marinate overnight or atleast for 2 hours.
2. Grind the ginger-garlic and other items together in a blender and keep aside. Soak the saffron in milk or mix the biriyani color in milk and keep aside.
3. Wash the rice and soak for 30 mins.
4. Boil a lot of water in a big vessel and add the soaked rice and cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves, cardamom, rest of the lemon juice and a little bit of salt.
5. When the rice is 3/4 done, filter the water out and cool the rice by spreading in a big plate. Remove the cinnamon sticks, cloves and bay leaves.
6. Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker and fry the onions till golden brown in color. Keep aside 1 cup of fried onions for garnishing.
7. Add the ground mixture, curry leaves, mint leaves and saute till nice aroma arises.
8. Add tomatoes, and all the powders and cook covered till tomatoes turn pulpy.
9. Now add the marinated chicken, mix thoroughly, close with the cooker lid and cook for 2 whistles.
10. Once the steam has settled by itself and most of the water has evaporated, the mixture is ready for dhum.
:- if there is still lot of water once you open the cooker, let water evaporate on stove top. Make sure the mixture is not too dry. There should be a little bit of gravy for the biriyani to be nice and moist.
11. In a baking tray, spread rice and chicken gravy alternatively, starting and ending with rice.
12. Add saffron milk/biriyani color milk, fried onion and coriander leaves on top of the rice.
13. Cover the tray tightly with aluminium foil without any gap and bake in the oven for 15 mins at 350 degrees.
Serve piping hot with raitha and papad!
Happy cooking 🙂