Want a quick and easy breakfast? Try this stuffed omelette recipe. Takes all of 15 minutes or less, and you got yourself a filling and nutritious breakfast whipped up in a jiffy. Stuffing your omelette just packs it with so much more nutrition to keep your macros balanced.
When it comes to making omelette, sky is the limit. I added what was in my pantry but feel free to add any other veggies you got; my other favorites being broccoli, bell peppers and kale. You can also add cheese just before folding the omelette. I just don’t like cheese in my omelette, hence I left that out. If you are a gooey cheese person, go to town with it.
Eggs cook real fast. So it’s important to make the stuffing first and keep it warm and ready to go while making the omelette. Eggs continue to cook even after they are removed from heat. Hence you need to slide them on to a plate while they still gooey on top. The warm stuffing and heat from the eggs will cook it through while on the plate. I also like serving my omelette with tomato salsa or tomato chutney, but it is good all by itself.
- Quickest way to brown mushroom is to spread evenly in one layer and let it sit for few seconds before stirring and repeating. Watch it brown beautifully.
- When you buy asparagus, look for fat and plump ones. Ones are pencil thin are no good.
- To make this paleo and whole30 compliant, omit pepperoni and salami or look for compliant pepperoni here and salami here.
- Last but not the least, 2 large eggs or 8 egg whites is One serving of protein. Keep that in mind if you are watching your portions.
Cast-iron skillet maintenance:
I’m obsessed with my cast-iron skillet. It just makes browning anything whether meat or veggies, sooo even, quick and delicious. If you don’t have one yet, you definitely gotta invest in one.
People are afraid of cast-iron skillet ‘coz of the maintenance part. Lemme tell you, its super easy to maintain cast-iron skillet. All you need is some cheap coarse salt and steel wool scrubber. I buy cheapest one found in supermarkets for less than a dollar and it lasts for over a year. Once done cooking, let the skillet cool down. Then rinse out the grime, sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the skillet and scrub using steel wool. Rinse and repeat one more time. Place the skillet back on the stove on medium heat and let water evaporate. I also wipe with a paper towel to speed up the process. Remove from heat as soon as water evaporates. This way you don’t get rid of the seasoning. Cool and store. If need be, place a tiny drop of oil and wipe all over with a paper towel. The entire process takes like 5 minutes.
By January 20, 2020Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 15 mins
Want a quick and easy breakfast? Try this stuffed omelette recipe. Takes all of 15 minutes or less and you got yourself a filling and nutritious breakfast whipped up in a jiffy. Stuffing your omelette just packs it with much more nutrition to keep your macros balanced.
- For the filling:
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup red onion/shallots sliced
- 1 cup mushroom I used 1 portobello,
- 1 big handful spinach
- 6 pepperoni
- 6 salami
- 6 asparagus
- salt n pepper to taste
- For the egg:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 inch fresh turmeric or 1/4 tsp turmeric powder finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 serrano pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- salt n pepper to taste
- 2 tsp ghee/oil
- Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a skillet.
- Add cumin and let it sizzle.
- Throw in onion and saute for a minute.
- Tip in chopped mushrooms and saute until they brown.
- Throw in spinach, let it wilt a little bit so the skillet is manageable.
- Tip in pepperoni, salami and asparagus.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, and saute until everything comes together.
- Now beat the eggs and throw in rest of the ingredients and beat.
- Heat 1 tsp oil/ghee in an egg pan on low heat.
- Pour half the egg mixture. Swirl to spread eggs and keep shaking to make sure egg cooks evenly.
- When egg is set and slightly runny on top, slide it onto a plate. Spread half the filing on one side and fold over. Repeat with rest of the egg mixture.
- Serve hot with some salsa or hollandaise sauce.