22 September, 2016
By September 22, 2016Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
Halwa is a go-to dessert for impromptu parties in India. Its a pretty easy to make though a little time consuming. Beet halwa is not that common and its a great way to trick beet-haters into consuming some. 😉 Condensed milk and khoya are optional ingredients. If not using them, Add 2 cups of milk for 2 cups of grated beet and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. You may also substitute cashews with slivered almonds. I like to pair my halwa with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to take this delicious dessert to a whole now level! 🙂
- 2 cups Beets finely grated
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed milk
- 50 gms khoya crumbled
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 10 tbsp Ghee/clarified butter
- 1 cup Whole milk
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add cashews and raisins and fry until raisins fluff up. Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Add grated beets and fry till beet juice is almost completely absorbed.
- Add condensed milk, khoya and whole milk, and cook on medium-low stirring every now and then.
- Add sugar (to taste, since condensed milk is already sweet), cardamom powder and rest of the ghee.
- Cook till beet becomes glossy and starts leaving the sides of the pan. At this stage ghee will start oozing out.
- Add fried cashews and raisins and Voila! Beet halwa is ready to serve. 🙂