14 August, 2017
AviyalPosted in : Curries, Heart Healthy, Indian, Kerala, Low Fat, Onam Sadhya, Paleo, Sides, Vegetarian on by : sujeesha Tags: aviyal, kerala food, onam sadhya, sadhya, vishu sadhya
By August 14, 2017Published:
- Yield: 6 cups (6 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
This nutritious dish with a variety of vegetables cooked in coconut paste is an important part of all Kerala festivals. Outside of festivals, its a great side dish for Adai, another nutritious Indian pancake you can find in my site. There are a lot of vegetables used, hence quantity of each vegetable is so less. Try my recipe and leave your feedback!
- 4 Green-beans chopped to 2 inch pieces
- 4 Long beans chopped to 2 inch pieces
- 8 Cluster beans halved
- 1/2 Green plantain (not the long variety) chopped to 2 inch strips
- 1/4 Carrot chopped to 2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup Elephant yam chopped to 2 inch long strips
- 2 purple Brinjals chopped lengthwise to yield 12 pieces each
- 1/2 cup Yellow pumpkin chopped to 2 inch strips
- 1 Drumstick (its an indian vegetable, NOT chicken drumsticks) chopped to 2 inch pieves
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1/2 cup Fresh yoghurt
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- Paste 1: coarse paste
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- Paste 2: Fine paste
- 1 inch Fresh ginger
- 4 Green chilies
- 5 Small shallots
- In a pot, take all vegetables, chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Add water just enough to cover all veggies.
- Cook covered until veggies are cooked through.
- Add paste 1, give it a nice stir and cook covered for a couple of minutes in medium heat.
- Add yogurt, mix well and simmer.
- Add paste 2, curry leaves and coconut oil. Stir, immediately remove from fire and keep covered.
- :- paste 2 needs to cook in just the steam. :- You will be able to smell a nice aroma as soon as you mix coconut oil with the vegetables.
- Serve hot with Sadhya or with adai. Happy cooking! 🙂